Sunday, April 16, 2006

Elasmasaurus - Kawahata

This is Elasmasaurus by Fumiaki Kawahata. For current printings, the model is from his Origami Dinosaurs 2, but I folded it from an earlier printing of Origami Dinosaurs 1 that contains a different selection of models.

The model is made from a basic kite fold, but is really original from that point on.

Elasmasaurus is one of the longest models I've ever seen, and has great balance. Since most people have never heard of an Elasmasaurus, when I fold one for someone I sometimes call this model "Nessy" after the Lock Ness Monster.

The model is folded from a single 15cm square sheet of Origami paper. As you can see from the photos, the layers of folds are very thick in the neck and it starts to buckle when you shape it. However, I think that thickness actually makes it easier to create a nice curve that will hold indefinitely.