Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Frog with Toes - Montroll

This is Frog with Toes from John Montroll's Animal Origami for the Enthusiast (1985). In the first three photos, the model is folded from a 25cm square sheet of Origami paper.

This model has long been a favourite of mine. There is a simpler version of the frog without toes, that I can make in under 10 minutes. It was this model pictured here though, with all of its
detail, that solidified my love of Origami in my youth. I vividly remember seeing this frog in a photo on the cover of the book in the shop at the Ontario Science Centre and knew I just had to fold it. It was so hard waiting hours to get home before I could make my first folding attempt.

For me, this was the first model that had everything the creature should have. It had eyes, a full mouth, and three webbed toes on each foot! I was in Origami bliss.

The basic architecture of the model is one half Waterbomb base, and one half blitzed Preliminary base. It was so simple I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of it. The back legs are folded very similarly to the traditional frog I'm sure many of you have made.

The toes though, start off before any of the rest of the model is folded. The edges of the paper are folded in to create mini Preliminary bases on each corner, so the three toes are created before any of the rest of the model is folded at all.

In the last two photos, the model is folded from a 15cm square sheet of paper backed green foil. While it's tougher to fold the model out of the smaller paper, it turns out very well; even when not made from foil.