Saturday, April 08, 2006

Horse - Montroll

This Horse is from John Montroll's Origami Sculptures (1989). This is my all time favourite horse design, and I've folded it so often that I think everyone I know has seen one.

I don't know why I made this one from orange paper; I've never done that before. I usually make the model from brown, blue, pink, or yellow paper. But I was having an orange day, and I think it turned out okay.

The model is made from Montroll's standard dog base. It has a great 3D appearance, because the trunk is shaped, and the mane pleated.

I think this horse has the best proportions out of any other, or at least for something that takes under 15 minutes to fold. It's one of those rare perfect models that is just a joy to fold, and I can't think of how to make it better. I folded the model from a standard 15cm square sheet of Origami paper.