Thursday, April 13, 2006

Klingon Bird of Prey - Pang

Okay, time to mix a couple things I really like. Science-fiction and Origami! Inherent geeky-ness aside, this is one really cool model. It's a Klingon Bird of Prey ship from Star Trek. The model is by Andrew Pang from The Paper Universe (2000).

I totally wish I'd known how to make this model back when I was a kid, because I could have had so much fun with a fleet of them. I folded it from a single sheet of 15cm square paper-backed gold foil. When it's that size, you really need to use foil to hold it together. I've made some of them from paper-backed green foil that also turn out well (the ship is a most often a greenish colour in the movies and television series).

Although I've never made any larger versions, I've seen photos of larger ships made of paper that appear to hold together well. The model is folded from a standard bird base, and it's so straightforward that I asked myself why I never thought of it before (I'm sure many people have thought that too for it).

One problem with the model though, is that there are no clear guidelines for folding the neck and the wing guns. So you're entirely left up to your own sense of proportion. As a result, every single one I make ends up different (I can't even use others as a guide, given the unique nature of the folds). I think this is the best one I've done though, so that's why I chose its photo.

If you're interested in trying something from the book, sample instructions for a Star Trek Voyager starship are available here.