Monday, May 01, 2006

Star of Peace - Shafer

This model is called Star of Peace, by Jeremy Shafer. It's from his book Origami to Astonish and Amuse (2001). I bought the book sort of on a whim, thinking it might be interesting, and was totally blown away by its contents.

First off, the book just looks great. I don't know what kind of paper and ink/toner they used, but it has got such a great look and feels so good to the touch that it's something that is just a joy to work from. As far as its contents go, you'll find some unique models in there that you just can't believe he came up with. Watch this blog for them in the future. Check out www.barf.cc for some sample diagrams of things in the book (or things that didn't quite make it in).

This model definately falls into the "astonish" category. You might not believe it, but it's actually folded from a single sheet of paper, with no cutting or tearing! I folded it from a 25cm square sheet of paper backed gold foil. I folded the model, and I'm still amazed at its construction. Somehow, he was able to create four mini Preliminary bases that have enough freedom in each of them to fold a traditional crane out of. If you look closely, you can see that each of the cranes are connected to the base by the one wing and one side of the body.

You really do have to use foil for this one if you're folding it this size, because he hides a lot of extra paper inside the neck and tale of each of those cranes. You can fold the base into whatever you want, and he suggests inflating it into a box-like shape. I had a hard time with that though, since foil is tough to fold back on the creases cleanly (I tried and that's why it looks a little rough). Instead, I opted for a kind of star shape base. He also suggests that you could fold the base into a large crane, with the baby cranes all over it. I would like to attempt that one next time.

I also think it would be interesting to try other models instead of cranes from the mini Preliminary bases. I'll have to come up with something to post here.